The development of the new Eleftherios Venizelos $2.8 billion “Greenfield” airport sited in the town of Spata, Greece (approximately 30km from Athens). Program was a new airport with 2 parallel runways, twin parallel taxiways, and associated high-speed exit taxiways, Main Terminal Building, Satellite Terminal Building, associated Apron Areas and Utilities, all NAVAIDS, Air Traffic Control Equipment/Tower, Aircraft Maintenance Facilities, Cargo Facilities, Airport Administration and Maintenance Facilities, Approach Roadways and Parking Facilities. The Program was planned with 6 different phases that would ultimately accommodate 60 million passengers per year. The initial phase (T-1) would provide facilities necessary to accommodate 16 million passengers per annum (mppa). The current T-1 phase provided facilities for 24 contact gate positions and 59 “hard stand” remote aircraft parking positions. The Program was a Design-Build / Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) project with a 56-month design/construction duration, and a 5 month Airport Operational Readiness (AOR) period.
MAR senior staff through their former employer Parsons Aviation were seconded into the Project Team and served as the Deputy Program Director for the Independent Consulting Engineer responsible for the coordination & management of all Project elements including Master Schedule monitoring, Design Reviews & Program Compliance, Project Reporting, Design Monitoring, Budget & Cost Control, Operations Interface, Change Control, Document Control, Development of Policies & Procedures, Testing, Commissioning & Handover, Airport Operational Readiness (AOR), and Value Engineering for the entire “Greenfield” Airport Development.
- Manage all Technical Design Compliance Reviews
- Coordinate Design Compliance reviews in various offices (11 in total)
- Assist the design and construction teams in phasing & sequencing of the works
- Assist the Owner in establishing a “fit-for-purpose” Airport Operations & Management organization
- Define and establish new Owners organizational structure and job descriptions for all positions
- Assist the Owner in negotiating all contract/legal matters
- Develop Testing, Commissioning & Handover Program
- Develop and implement an airport-wide Airport Operational Readiness (AOR) Program
- Ensure successful “Opening Day”